The past 21 days I have doing a spiritual fast called the Daniel Fast. The Daniel Fast is derived from the book of Daniel in the Bible. Daniel 10: 2,3 "In those days I, Daniel, was mourning three full weeks. I ate no pleasant food, no meat or wine came into my mouth, nor did I anoint myself at all, till three whole weeks were fulfilled"
Late November, I started playing around with the idea that I would do it for the first 21 days of the year to start my year off right! A couple of days before the new year my mom surprised my brother and I and that derailed my plan as I HAD to enjoy my mom's cooking. I vowed I would start the day she left.
The past 21 days have been filled with the discovery of strength and self-control I never knew I had.
Here is a list of some moments that stood out + pics of the food that I ate during the fast.
1. discovering almonds - I used to hate almonds, but I LOVE them now!
2. for those sugar cravings and for when I ate cereal I used raisins.
3. went for wings with my friends and I ordered the veggie burger, to only eat the patty and lettuce and give the bun and fries to my amigo.
4. realizing that I was so concerned about the food that I didn't pray and meditate as much as I had hoped to.
5. my mom deciding to do the fast with me, she finishes tomorrow.
6. felt a sense of obedience within myself.
7. seeing my body start to change, noticing that I began to sleep better and feel lighter.
8. my friends and brother cheering me on.
9. not feeling like I would immediately attack and chow down on a drumstick the second my fast ended and thinking of perhaps making this a lifestyle with a few tweaks.
10. wrapping my head around the fact that I haven't had sugar or any sort of meat in 21 days!!!
oh and being UTTERLY proud of myself!!!!
have you ever done or thought of doing the Daniel fast? let me know about it!